[Kolab-devel] Kolab server version numbering

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Mon Oct 15 09:18:26 CEST 2007

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20071015 07:24]:
> Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> writes:
> > Better without the dash, this won't work with rpm revisions:
> >
> > 2.2.beta1
> > 2.2.beta1.cvs20071011
> > 2.2.beta2
> > 2.2.beta2.cvs20071011
> > 2.2.rc1
> > 2.2.rc1.cvs20071011
> > 2.2.0
> > 2.2.0.cvs20071012
> > 2.2.1
> >
> > So an RPM from 20071011's CVS packages on 20071014 will have the RPM
> > version/revision 2.2.beta1.cvs20071011-20071014 :)
>
> The specs I wrote recognize if it is a cvs version or a release. Check
> perl-kolab for example.

In OpenPKG world everything has the RPM revision -yyyymmdd, so
either it is 2.2.rc1-yyyymmdd and 2.2.rc1.cvs20071011-yyyymmdd (date
included in the CVS snapshot tarball) or 2.2.rc1-yyyymmdd and
2.2.rc1.cvs-yyyymmdd (date not included).

For e.g. OpenSUSE the -yyyymmdd will rather be -1 or something like
that, in which case the Epoch has to be increased for 2.2.0 if there
had been a 2.2.foo release before.

> I don't think we need to have a double date
> tag since these should be internal versions.

Yes, I don't think the double date is needed, too, but then the
RPM version (in contrast to version-revision) would just be
2.2.beta1.cvs, which is ok for me.

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998