[Kolab-devel] Kolab server version numbering

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sat Oct 13 13:34:54 CEST 2007

Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> writes:

> * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20070815 18:05]:
>> Thought so too :) and hacked a short test script that gave me this output:
>>
>> 2.1.0 > 2.1.0: 0
>> 2.1.0cvs > 2.1.0: 1
>> 2.1.0 > 2.1.0cvs: -1
>> 2.1.0.cvs > 2.1.0: 1
>> 2.1.0beta > 2.1.0: 1
>> 2.1.1 > 2.1.0cvs: 1
>> 20070815 > 20070815: 0
>> cvs20070815 > 20070814: -1
>> 20070815 > cvs20070815: 1
>>
>> rpm is incabable of recognizing
>>
>> 2.1.0beta < 2.1.0
>
> http://linux.duke.edu/~mstenner/docs/rpm-version-cmp has a helpful
> hint for the last case: "package version breaks software version ties"
>
> For the version numbering I want any package (or snapshot) of the
> 2.2 (currently HEAD) branch to be newer than any package (current or
> future) of the 2.1 branch, so I think we have the following
> possibilities:
>
>   2.2.beta1-20071011
> < 2.2.beta1.cvs-20071011
> < 2.2.beta2-20071011
> < 2.2.beta2.cvs-20071011
> < 2.2.rc1-20071011
> < 2.2.rc1.cvs-20071011
> < 2.2.0-20071012
> < 2.2.0.cvs-20071012
> < 2.2.1-20071012
>
> So as you see the only thing that can't be done without overriding
> by using Epoch is doing a .0 release on the same day as a prerelease
> (or prerelease CVS snapshot).
>
>   2.1.99.beta1-20071011
> < 2.1.99.beta1.cvs-20071011
> < 2.1.99.beta2-20071011
> < 2.1.99.beta2.cvs-20071011
> < 2.1.99.rc1-20071011
> < 2.1.99.rc1.cvs-20071011
> < 2.2.0-20071011
> < 2.2.0.cvs-20071011
> < 2.2.1-20071011
>
> Here the problem ist solved without using Epoch, but the version
> strings are quite long. An additional benefit of the second
> versioning scheme is that it should be compatible with other package
> tools, too.
>
> I'm 51:49 in favour of the first scheme, maybe with _betaX.cvs
> instead of .beta.cvs? Or even _betaX+cvs? The separators can be
> exchanged freely.
>
> What do others think?

Maybe to clarify why this discussion came up again: When I did the
check about version numbers last time I did not consider branching.
At some point we have a 2.1 branch and a new 2.2 branch. Using
2.1.0.cvs version identifiers in the period before we actually reach
the 2.2.0 version does not correctly identify the 2.1.0.cvs version as
actually being higher than 2.1.1 for example. The 2.1.99 scheme has
been used before in order to handle that.

Thanks Thomas, for checking and correcting this. I'm also in favor of
the first scheme. I assume that the version scheme you suggest refers
to the VERSION-RELEASE number of the released RPMs, right?

For some of the packages (currently perl-kolab, php-kolab,
kolab-filter, and kolab-freebusy) I'd like to start distributing source
packages soon. For the sources I'd like to remove the date tag if it
is a real release. So for the tar.gz package this would look like this:

  2.2.beta1
  2.2.beta1.cvs-20071011
  2.2.beta2
  2.2.beta2.cvs-20071011
  2.2.rc1
  2.2.rc1.cvs-20071011
  2.2.0
  2.2.0.cvs-20071012
  2.2.1

Would that be okay?

Concerning the "_betaX+cvs" I'm still against using the "+" sign :) I
know it clarifies the meaning as "version X PLUS something". But I
never saw a "+" in a source package file name when I packaged
something for Gentoo. So I'm sceptic about using it.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> --
> thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg