[Kolab-devel] Horde preferences: LDAP or IMAP?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Oct 8 17:57:13 CEST 2007

"Alain Spineux" <aspineux at gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/8/07, Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> wrote:
>> * Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> [20071005 18:34]:
>> >
>> > With SQLite it is typical to use one db file per user. So there are no locking
>> > issues.
>>
>> ... users never have two browser windows?
>> ... people never press reload when they get impatient about the
>>     stalled browser connection?
>> ... one account is never used by two people?
>
> This was what I was worrying about !
> BUT :
>  - most browser windows share the same cookie set and then the same session.
>  - having a _working_ horde should be fine, even with a
> "single-connection/user" limitation.
>  - horde is not kolab server, horde is only a client, hode limitation
> will not limit kolab server.
>  - This can be improved later without any chnage for the user.
>  - a php solution should exist for this case, if not please use a sql
> library using a modular SQL driver, easy to change to a more SQL
> scalable solution (mysql/posgress)

This exists.

>  - if you wan horde working a multiple server you shoud use a salable
> SQL solution.

Please bear in mind that Horde is really, really modular. This is one
of its strongest points.

For the particular case of the preferences driver the current Kolab
default is to use the

 - Kolab LDAP driver

This driver will not go away. If somebody prefers this solution, it
will be available.

I did now write the

 - Kolab IMAP driver

which might/might not become the default at some point. It certainly
won't become the default at the moment since Kontact would disable it.

If somebody dislikes these solutions and would rather prefer to store
the user preferences in a scalable database it is trivial to switch to
the

 - SQL driver

that works with a number of different databases. Using MySQL or
Postgres is no problem at all.

And if somebody is coming along and writes a preferences driver for
SQLite this would be just another option.

Maybe I should provide additional information about the Horde internals:

 When you have an application like Turba (the Horde address manager)
 you can simply check its driver directory:

 http://cvs.horde.org/turba/lib/Driver/

 And you see there are a variety of drivers available. You can store
 addresses in LDAP, Kolab, SQL, IMSP, Prefs. When running Horde with a
 Kolab server most people will probably choose the kolab.php driver.
 But nothing at all prevents you from setting up a MySQL db somewhere
 or even add another LDAP directory where you store additional
 addresses. In case of Turba it is even trivial to use many different
 address sources.

 Assume that you would now decide that you really, really need to
 manage Bookmarks with Horde. You'd start looking at the Trean
 application which provides that BUT it does not have a kolab
 driver. In fact it works with nothing else but a SQL db. This of
 course does not mean that you cannot install Trean. You can easily
 add it to your Horde installation as long as you provide a MySQL db
 somewhere on the web where Trean can store the users bookmarks.

Just felt the need to mention this to make clear that the sysadmin of
the Horde installation has a lot of options to tweak the system.

The recent Kolab specific changes that went into Horde CVS were
concerned with improving how the main applications handle the standard
groupware data. There is a lot of additional functionality within
Horde that does not yet work without a SQL database. But if you have a
spare MySQL db somewhere you can easily get more functionality out of
Horde already right now. This will of course not be available with the
default Kolab install since we won't add a SQL db.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Hope this help
>
> Regards
>

>> Thomas
>>
>> --
>> thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
>> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
>> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

> --
> Alain Spineux
> aspineux gmail com
> May the sources be with you

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg