[Kolab-devel] Kolab Format specs/Kontact: Question about custom folder types

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Oct 4 19:24:03 CEST 2007

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20071004 15:14]:
> Locally I'm also using the gollem file manager for storing files in
> IMAP-folders as e-mail attachments - actually quite convenient :)
> These folders currently have the internal folder type: "kolab.h-file"
>
> Now I noticed that Kontact enterprise simply rewrites these unknown
> folder types to "mail" which of course makes me unhappy :) I assume it
> would also overwrite the folder type "kolab.h-prefs".
>
> Can someone clarify if it is intended to have custom folder types or
> not and whether a client should rewrite anything it does not know to
> "mail"?

There are a number of bugs hitting each other here:

| The mimetype of the messages stored on the Kolab server is
| "application/x-vnd.kolab.<type>".

Does gollem use "application/x-vnd.kolab.h-file" as the MIME type
for all mails stored here?

| All annotation MUST be set during the initial creation of a folder
| and cannot be altered afterwards. Clients are allowed to rely upon
| this requirement.

kmail/kontact violates this clearly if it rewrites the folders to
"mail".

| For folders created with non Kolab IMAP clients, annotations must
| be preserved.

So a folder type "gollem" should survive, if gollem isn't considered
a Kolab IMAP client, but just an IMAP client.

| All Kolab clients MUST assume that folders without an explicit
| type set are email folders.

Probably kmail/kontact _incorrectly_ assumes "mail" and then even
more incorrectly synchronizes this info back to the server.

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998