[Kolab-devel] [issue2182] Kontact shows misleading error messages for a mail encrypted with unsupported cyphers

Bernhard Herzog kolab-issues at intevation.de
Wed Nov 7 20:03:23 CET 2007

New submission from Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de>:

Under some circumstances, when Kontact tries to show an encrypted mail, it shows
an error message:

  Not enough information to check signature. [Details]

Test with gpgsm on the command line show that the mail in question is encrypted
but cannot be decrypted because gpgsm doesn't support the algorithm:

  gpgsm: unsupported algorithm `1.2.840.113549.3.2'
  gpgsm: (Dies ist der RC-2 Algorithmus)
  gpgsm: message decryption failed: Nicht unterstütztes Verfahren <GPGSM>

The message in Kontact is misleading because the problem is not related to
cryptographic signatures.

I tried to create a test mail with openssl that shows this problem.  However,
for the test mail, Kontact correctly showed an error message about the failed
decryption.  So it's not just a problem with unsupported encryption algorithms.

Assigned to me because I'll probably have some more information tomorrow.

assignedto: bh
messages: 12590
nosy: bh
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Kontact shows misleading error messages for a mail encrypted with unsupported cyphers
topic: kde client, kkc, proko2branch