[Kolab-devel] [issue2179] Allow editing attachments of events and tasks

Bernhard Herzog kolab-issues at intevation.de
Tue Nov 6 17:56:46 CET 2007

New submission from Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de>:

Events and Tasks can have attachments.  There should be a way to edit such
attachments, just like for attachments of emails.  The Buttons on the
Attachments tab of the event/task dialog are confusing.

>From  kolab/issue1312, msg11601:

 - Create a new Task or Event (I tested both).
 - Attach a file (not a URI)
 - close the dialog and sync
 - Open the task/event and go to the Attachments tab.

Now how do I even edit the attachment? There's the "Edit..." button, but that
doesn't actually let me edit the contents.  It lets me replace the attached file
with a different one.  The dialog it shows is confusing for an attached file
because it looks exactly like the dialog that comes for the "Attach File..."
button so at first I thought that either I had clicked on the wrong button or
that the "Edit..." button is incorrectly attached to the same action as "Attach
File...".  I think the "Edit..." button should let me edit the contents of the
attached file.  If I want to replace the file I can always remove the attachment
and attach a new file.

Then there's the "Show" button.  This opens e. g. "text/plain" attachments in
KWrite.  KWrite actually lets me edit the contents, but when I save the modified
contents and quit KWrite I get the dialog ludwig mentions in msg 11510.  In the
context of "Show" the message is understandable to me because the temporary file
only meant for displaying the file was actually modified, although I'm not sure
how normal users will react.

So AFAICT there is actually no way to edit the contents of an attached file
short of saving the attachment (which would have to be done via Show!), removing
 the old attachment and attaching a modified copy (the last two steps could be
done with "Edit..." button in the current interface).

The IMO correct behavior for "Edit..." would be to allow the user to modify the
contents of the attached file.

messages: 12573
nosy: bh
priority: feature
status: unread
title: Allow editing attachments of events and tasks
topic: kde client