[Kolab-devel] Integration of Kolab2 and Samba

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu May 24 03:25:57 CEST 2007

On 5/24/07, Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> wrote:
> Am Montag 21 Mai 2007 schrieb Alain Spineux:
>
> Hi,
>
> > If kolab could integrate the base for the samba integration this could
> > boost it use.
>
> Seriously, can you elaborate this a little bit more.

More than one year ago, when I was in the business of outsourcing for
Small Office,
(meaning I was the IT manager for lot of Small Office), I was looking for
a solution providing the same service as SBS from M$.
Don't forget Exchange is running on a system able to do filesharing too :-) !
Both, mail and file using the same user database!
This is just what all SmallOffice need!

The work to integrate Kolab and Samba was too big for someone ( me ) without
 good ldap knowledges. If the attributes required for samba where
already included
in the kolab schema, and that someone had reported success without
too much work, I would have tried ! Only if the attributes where in !

Kolab 3 (integrating even limited Samba functionalities) should be a
bigger killer
(referring the idiomatic expression "Exchange killer")  than Kolab2 !

Limited Samba3 functionalities means a least the user database.
But do you know samba already support to retrieve some configuration
parameters from ldap ? Shared folders could be, already defined into ldap.

Regards.

Alain

> If it is indeed the case I am considering to offer optional samba3 PDC
> integration in kolab 3.
>
> Regards,
> -- martin konold
>
> --
> e r f r a k o n
> Erlewein, Frank, Konold & Partner - Beratende Ingenieure und Physiker
> Sitz: Adolfstraße 23 Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126
> http://www.erfrakon.com/

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you