[Kolab-devel] Handling of default groupware folders within Kolab clients

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue May 8 08:04:28 CEST 2007

Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> Am Montag 07 Mai 2007 schrieb Gunnar Wrobel:
>> "Joon Radley" <joon at radleys.co.za> writes:
>> > Hi Gunnar,

>> > The behavior works for me. It is exactly what the Toltec Connector does.
>>
>> Ah, great.
>
> No, this is not great but plain broken!

I thought about this again and you are right. I'll try to change this in Horde.

> The main point is that folders not only have a folder-type like mail,calendar,
> notes and contacts but also define which folders are the default folders.
> There must exist exactly _one_ default folder for each type. This folder must
> be owned by the user and typically resides in the top level hierarchy just
> below INBOX.
>
> Please check Chapter 6.1 in
> http://www.kolab.org/doc/concept-draft-cvs20060921.pdf

I read the section and it mentions the requirement for a default
folder in a similar way the IMAP section in the format specification
(http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc5-html/c154.html) does.
But I did not immediately derive the client requirements from this and
I think it would help to include what we discussed now in this IMAP
section.

It should be made clear that each client must be able to handle a
situation where there is NO groupware folder of a given type present
at all. In that case the desired action would be to create a default
folder for the missing groupware folder type ("desired" not
"required"). But once there exist folders of a given groupware type or
a first such folder is being created, the client MUST ensure that the
requirements for a default folder of this groupware type are matched
as given by the format specification.

Is that view correct?

Cheers,

Gunnar