[Kolab-devel] web groupware

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Fri Mar 9 10:40:52 CET 2007

Hello Gunnar,

On Friday, 9. March 2007, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> > I believe one would end up with three to four different storage
> > drivers for Kolab:
> >
> >  - a basic one that enables "old style" handling of groupware objects.
> >  - a plain IMAP storage driver
> >  - a cached IMAP storage driver
> >  - (a cached IMAP storage driver that uses VFS)
> >
> > The Kolab class would then select the configured back end and delegate
> > the calls there.
>
> you were right :) Splitting this up is too complex and can be
> avoided. I had to start the splitting in order to see that.

IMHO a plain IMAP storage driver without caching is pointless anyway.
It is nice as proof-of-concept, but the peformance is not usable
in a productive environment. Disabling the cache has the same effect
and the code can be "reused" for both drivers :-)

Though I'm still wondering with how many contacts
the original code was tested when it was written...

I like the idea of adding Horde VFS support for the cache storage.

> So step 1 (splitting of the Kolab driver) has been completed and
> submitted to the Horde team for review.
>
> http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=5097

Looks fine. As the number of files will grow for Kolab, would it be a good
idea to have a "Kolab/" subdirectory, perhaps even at the "lib/Kolab"
instead of "lib/Horde/Kolab" level?

I'll install HEAD versions of Horde/IMP/Turba today and start to port
the current caching code. What do you plan to do next?

Cheers,
Thomas