[Kolab-devel] something is not good about kolab

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 15:07:33 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Joon Radley <joon at radleys.co.za> wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> > Yes, he will choose the shiny at first, but if he get problems,
> > fall back the less less shiny, but working one.
>
> But why be the fourth or fifth choice when such a small change can make
> you
> the first choice?

Not sure its small !

> Are you speaking about fellows that will configure KOLAB, and maybe
> troubleshoot it
> > when problems occur ? Yes you are :-)
> > Maybe your are mistaking knowledge and easiness!
> > Cars are safer and easier to drive but you still need a driving licence.
> > IT manager is responsible for tens of peoples, he need knowledge too!
> > But we can make is life easier.
>
> Huh? The learning curve on maintaining a running system is much lower that
> install a new OS and trying to compile software for the first time in your
> life. Most system administrator that have never worked on Linux or
> compiled
> software in their careers. Scripting is about the only source code they
> have
> ever seen.

Take that like an exam to be able to drive a linux server!
Maintaining means to solve problems too!
We are not helping peoples when making them thing they are able to do such
thing (drive a linux server
or a kolab mail system).
Free software has no commercial goals and dont need to mislead people.

BUT, I repeat, I'm not against make the manager live easier or make him more
smart "forcing"
him read some INSALL guide, FAQ, HOWTO ....

The products and product descriptions I have seen will install a Linux OS,
> install Kolab from binary and help you with a GUI configuration of the
> Kolab
> server. This would bring Kolab inline with top commercial product.
>
> > download, compile,  bootstrap, login !
> > This is not difficult !
> > Maybe Installing tutorials should help, messages like "The installation
> can be long 2 or
> > 4H depending your hardware" or
> > "The installation is successful, you cans now start bootstrap" ...
>
> Yes it does sound simple, but it does not reflect reality. With the 2.1RC1
> I took a machine installed FC6 and ran obmtool after about 8 hours of
> frustration I finally contacted the list and I was pointed to the wiki. I
> have been working with Linux and developing software on it since 1995 and
> was frustrated, image someone brand new to Linux and Kolab. Most other
> solutions just requires a 15-45 minute install, no compiling.
>
> And it not just me, I have supported thousands of people since 2003 with
> the
> Kolab and the "difficult" install remains he highest reason for people not
> picking Kolab as a solution.

One more, we can not let people drive without licence. They need the
knowledge or know someone that
have them, in both case they have also the solution to install it (themself
or by the guy that know).

I was more afraid when installing my first exchange than when installing my
first zymbra.
Probably because I read some doc on how to install Zimbra first.

Regards

Best Regards

> Joon Radley
> Radley Network Technologies CC