[Kolab-devel] something is not good about kolab

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Thu Jun 28 14:37:49 CEST 2007

Hi Alain,

> Yes, he will choose the shiny at first, but if he get problems,
> fall back the less less shiny, but working one.

But why be the fourth or fifth choice when such a small change can make you
the first choice?

> Are you speaking about fellows that will configure KOLAB, and maybe
troubleshoot it
> when problems occur ? Yes you are :-)
> Maybe your are mistaking knowledge and easiness!
> Cars are safer and easier to drive but you still need a driving licence.
> IT manager is responsible for tens of peoples, he need knowledge too!
> But we can make is life easier.

Huh? The learning curve on maintaining a running system is much lower that
install a new OS and trying to compile software for the first time in your
life. Most system administrator that have never worked on Linux or compiled
software in their careers. Scripting is about the only source code they have
ever seen.

The products and product descriptions I have seen will install a Linux OS,
install Kolab from binary and help you with a GUI configuration of the Kolab
server. This would bring Kolab inline with top commercial product.

> download, compile,  bootstrap, login !
> This is not difficult !
> Maybe Installing tutorials should help, messages like "The installation
can be long 2 or
> 4H depending your hardware" or
> "The installation is successful, you cans now start bootstrap" ...

Yes it does sound simple, but it does not reflect reality. With the 2.1 RC1
I took a machine installed FC6 and ran obmtool after about 8 hours of
frustration I finally contacted the list and I was pointed to the wiki. I
have been working with Linux and developing software on it since 1995 and I
was frustrated, image someone brand new to Linux and Kolab. Most other
solutions just requires a 15-45 minute install, no compiling.

And it not just me, I have supported thousands of people since 2003 with the
Kolab and the "difficult" install remains he highest reason for people not
picking Kolab as a solution.

Best Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC