[Kolab-devel] something is not good about Kolab

Joon Radley joon at radleys.co.za
Thu Jun 28 14:16:56 CEST 2007

Hi Thomas,

> On the other hand, in my experience, Kolab also has one very strong point
(or
> at least had when we chose to use it almost 1.5 years back): As far as I
have
> seen, it's the only OSS groupware solution that wholeheartedly supports
> *Linux* desktop clients, i.e. Kontact right from the start (if I leave the
> NFS problems aside for a moment - that's a different kettle of fish). If I
> take our users as a reference, a web interface - while important - does
not
> replace the desktop client. This was e.g. our problem with - then -
> SLOX, where the desktop client support was poor.

Maybe you misunderstood me, I believe that Kolab is the best solution, with
multiple open-source and commercial client support there is nothing out
there that is better. With the completion of Horde the second last major
client issue has been resolved.

This is not about what is the best, it is how people perceive a product. A
difficult install and a "flat" interface gives the impression of weak
product. Just try and look at it from the point of view of a MCSE that has
never worked with Linux, that must now find a open source solution.

Best Regards

Joon Radley
Radley Network Technologies CC
Cell: +27 (0)83 368 8557