[Kolab-devel] RFC - The future development direction of Kolab

Richard Bos ml at radoeka.nl
Thu Jun 14 21:08:44 CEST 2007

Op Thursday 14 June 2007 15:29:41 schreef Stephan Buys:
>  * Asterisk integration
>         * LDAP logons for Linux clients

Asterisk is not the right project for a VOIP solution, as it is not modulair
and scalable.  The right application to use for a VOIP solution is sipx
http://www.sipfoundry.org/reSIProcate/
http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/Main_Page

When sipx is used one it's a very scalable and modulair VOIP system in which
asterisk may take part as a feature server (e.g. providing the announcements,
voice mail or e.g. call diversion and such features).  sipx is AFAIK using
ldap as well already.

> ** Shouldn't we consider making kolabd a first-class citizen? Its own
> sub-project, tightly coupled with LDAP/slurpd and able to handle much more
> than just postfix/cyrus/etc? It could be the basis for an enterprise-wide
> directory/central user store managing services as needed.

That sounds as a good idea.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless