[Kolab-devel] KDE/Kontact unsuitable for NFS

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at itsef.com
Mon Jun 11 14:49:36 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 5 June 2007 10:14, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag 04 Juni 2007 schrieb ITSEF Admin:

[...]
> > different workstations, $HOME on NFS seemed to be quite standard to me as
> > setups go.
>
> Yes, and they regularily cause problems.

I can understand that there are problems, but from something like
KDE/Kolab/Kontact that's also aiming at businesses I'd expect some
workarounds, just to support existing infrastructure and thus keeping the
entry hurdles low. Maybe even with some performance penalty, if no other way
is possible. That's why I was so surprised by your statement in the first
place.

[...]

> > these environments? What would you recommend instead of NFS for
> > environments where $HOME needs to be accessible on all workstations?
>
> e.g. AFS or GFS.

Thank you. I'll have to look into that, but it most definitely means more work
- changing this setup for the complete network isn't peanuts, even for a
small one like ours.

Does anybody out there happen to know which Linux distros support AFS or GFS
out-of-the-box? OpenSUSE 10.[12] doesn't, for starters.

Also, if "KDE/Kontact is not suitable for NFS" is the official stance, I'd
expect some big warning in the Kolab client documentation, again in the light
of the existing setups.

Regards,

Thomas