[Kolab-devel] Horde roadmap

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Jul 27 16:55:24 CEST 2007

Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 03:57:19PM +0200, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> The title is probably suggesting too much but I wanted to give you a
>> short update on what lies ahead concerning Horde.
>>
>> Since I now switched my development to the 2.2 branch of the server
>> the next set of packages will be delivered for the recently released
>> beta1 version of the Kolab-Server-2.2 version. Right now the horde
>> packages within CVS should build and you can probably install them if
>> you build Kolab from CVS. But I do not expect them to work without
>> problems yet. Fixing of the packages should happen next week.
>
> Can you say something about horde for non openpkg installations?
> What is horde's current status?  Will they release a new versions
> of concerned horde applications with kolab patches, do you know this?

In general the Horde situation is actually not too complex anymore (at
least I hope so).

1) Releases

 - The next Horde release will be 3.2

   Don't ask me for a specific release date there. So far the main
   Horde devs responded with "It is done when it is done." :)

   But you may look for progress on this wiki page:

   http://wiki.horde.org/ShowStoppersThreeTwo

   This should give you some hints when it might happen.

   Horde-3.2 will contain a lot of Kolab specific improvements that
   are already available in Horde CVS.

   Once 3.2 has been released my current horde packages within Kolab
   CVS will be switched to use the stable 3.2 release.

 - Currently you can use Horde CVS snapshots. They are available here:

   http://ftp.horde.org/pub/snaps/

   This is also what I'm doing at the moment for both the OpenPKG and
   Gentoo packages. Both are based on these snapshots.

2) Patches

   Many improvements went into Horde CVS already. There are still some
   patches necessary and you find them *ALL* in the server/horde
   subdirectory within Kolab CVS. There are only five patches left.

   These patches did not make it into Horde yet because they are not
   clean enough for Horde or need to be rewritten to match Horde
   structures.

   During the next months several of those patches will hopefully be
   cleaned up and integrated into Horde so that we arrive at zero
   patches for the Horde web client. Whether this will happen before
   or after 3.2 is something I cannot say at the moment.

3) Configuration

   You can currently get configuration hints from both the
   Kolab2/Gentoo repository as well as from Kolab CVS though I think
   the configuration in Kolab CVS needs to see a few more fixes. In
   any case you will need to adapt it to your system in any case.

So I would say it is definitely possible to already provide a working
Horde configuration on any "native" Kolab system by using the
snapshots and the patches in Kolab CVS. There is no "hidden magic" you
need to invoke in order to make it work :)

Cheers,

Gunnar