[Kolab-devel] %SERVER%

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 3 18:56:36 CEST 2007

Hi Martin,

On Monday 02 July 2007 21:52, Martin Konold wrote:
> I read on kolab-commits at kolab.org
>
> > doc3: Corrected the image olfreebusysetup.png to match the text, by
> >         using a pixel editor. Fixed two wordings in the same paragraph.
> > olfreebusysetup.png: replaced %SERVER% with the real server address,
> >         we switched to always asking my own server a while ago as
> >         standard configuration.
>
> In the normal case %SERVER% expands to the kolabHomeServer

we found that this is not the "normal" case.
When you have more than one Kolab Server, it is more like:

Email Domain =  example.org
kolabHomeServerA = master.example.org
kolabHomeServerB = slaveb.example.org
kolabHomeServerC = slavec.example.org

%SERVER% does not work in this situation for the URL
as it expands to "example.org" which is usually the webserver or so,
but not one of the Kolab Servers.

> and therefore is
> equivalent but keeping %SERVER% is more flexible and more generic.

I did the change, because of real user feedback. Admins got
this wrong, because they picked the wrong of two shown configurations.
To not use %SERVER% is the default for quite a while now
in the text, but the screenshot was never updated.
So now text and screenshot are consistent at least.

> E.g. when keeping the %SERVER% then the URL used can be literally the same
> in all installations and it can be copied from documentation without the
> need to understand which server actually to put in

Unfortunately it does not work in many cases.

> When doing central administration it is also simpler to have the very same
> string for all clients independent of location etc.

Especially when you have central administration
there are often several KolabServers.

> Last but not least keeping %SERVER% allows the Outlook users to retrieve
> internet freebusy for contacts which are NOT Kolab users but which happend
> to publish the ifb on their on servers. (E.g. MS Exchange).

How many cases do you know that Email-Domain == Exchange Server Name?
Which fraction of those do you expect to have a foreign
Exchange Server that would give the FB list to you with your foreign password?

Upps - You have just send your password to a foreign Exchange server!

> I therefore kindly request you to revert the change.

Do you still want me to revert this?

If you like you could enter another configuration variation without
password and with %SERVER% and give the necessary conditions for
when this is useful.

Bernhard