[Kolab-devel] [issue1609] "kolab --help" tries to execute *all* commands

T. Ribbrock kolab-issues at intevation.de
Tue Feb 20 09:57:25 CET 2007

New submission from T. Ribbrock <itsef-admin at brightsight.com>:

kolab 2.1-rc1:

I just tried to run "kolab --help" on our server. First, it seemed to hang after
displaying

[...]
where <command> is one of the following commands:

Then, when I pressed ENTER a couple of times, "kolab" suddenly seemed to execute
*all* commands in a row, starting with adduser:

[...]
where <command> is one of the following commands:

  adduser         Please specify the firstname:
Please specify the lastname:
Please specify the email address:
Please specify the password:
Please specify the quota (kb):
You must specify a firstname
  deluser         User not found!
  listusers       NAME1 at DOM.AIN
NAME2 at DOM.AIN
NAME3 at DOM.AIN
[...]
NAMELAST at DOM.AIN
Can't exec "hostname": No such file or directory at
/kolab/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.8.7/Kolab.pm line 228.
Can't exec "diff": No such file or directory at
/kolab/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.8.7/Kolab/Conf.pm line 323.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
/kolab/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.8.7/Kolab/Conf.pm line 324.
Can't exec "diff": No such file or directory at
/kolab/lib/perl/vendor_perl/5.8.7/Kolab/Conf.pm line 323.
[...]
/kolab/bin/openpkg: line 109: sed: command not found
/kolab/bin/openpkg: line 121: sed: command not found
openpkg:ERROR: No such command "rc" found in command path
openpkg:ERROR: ().
openpkg:ERROR: Set ${OPENPKG_TOOLS_CMDPATH} appropriately.
openpkg:ERROR: Run "/kolab/bin/openpkg --help" for list of valid commands.
  newconfig       kolabconf - Kolab Configuration Generator

  Version: 2.0.99

  Copyright (c) 2004  Klaraelvdalens Datakonsult AB
  Copyright (c) 2003  Code Fusion cc
  Copyright (c) 2003  Tassilo Erlewein, Martin Konold, Achim Frank, erfrakon

  services        amavisd
[...]

And so on, and so on.

I remember using this command in the past (it definitely worked in 2.0.4, but I
can't remember about 2.1beta2). I had a quick glance at the command itself (a
shell script), but couldn't see any obvious things. I also compared the script
to the one from 2.1-beta2 and they are identical, so either the problem existed
then already or there is something else.

Given that I cannot assess how much damage this could do (it certainly LOOKS
dangerous to me), I rate this as critical, as a "--help" should *never* do
anything like this.

messages: 9666
nosy: itsef_admin
priority: critical
status: unread
title: "kolab --help" tries to execute *all* commands
topic: kolab-2.1, server