[Kolab-devel] TO all anti-spam enthusiasts

Fabio Pietrosanti lists at infosecurity.ch
Fri Dec 14 09:06:24 CET 2007

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> I fully subscribe to that view and also believe that we need to be
> very, very careful about changing postfix configurations. The proposed
> changes will of course get discussed but I believe the last thing
> anybody of us wants is to have legitimate messages being blocked.

I experienced a strong reduction of spam by implementing most postfix
features, even static one.

This because *most* spammer are using misconfigured software, are using
infected pc from adsl/cable connection and doesn't respect the "tipical"
configuration of an MTA.

We work on errors of spammer and on correctness of system administrated
real email systems (the effort put by system administrator to have stuff
working).

It's true that "dynamic" measures works well against spam, but if you
make a body_checks that look for:
v1agra
vi4gr4
c1al1s

you will drop 2-3% of spam and will not have issue with users.

If you include checking of MX of sender, you will drop another 2-3% and
so on.

So antispamming is not an exact science, there's no single magic
solution but only implementing most techniques one over each other it's
possible to "reduce" the spam.

Again, regarding dynamic filtering, imho greylisting for example is not
acceptable for most users because of the delay it introduce.

I was asked by my customers to remove it and to implement something
that, if an email is blocked, the sender is immediately notified so he
will know it.

The best approach to antispam that i found is to "prevent" access to the
email system to "illegal" emails.
So having most of the checks that prevent the entry of an email messages
into the postfix smtpd message flow.
This is my ideal policy.

Then, other dynamic post-processing made bayesian rules of spamassassin
for example, help in reducing again the spam that pass the 'frontend'
filters.

It's even a matter of how much you want to be aggressive respect to the
rest of the other email systems (like for the 550 errors).

There are some "antispam check" that are acceptable for most, some for
few persons.

For example i do not accept email from the following hosts:

/^dsl.*\..*/i 553 AUTO_DSL We aren't accept direct connection not from
dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/.*\.dsl\..*/i 553 AUTO_DSL2 We aren't accept direct connection not from
dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/[a|x]dsl.*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_[A|X]DSL We aren't accept direct
connection not from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet
provider SMTP Server.
/client.*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_CLIENT We aren't accept direct connection
not from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP
Server.
/cable.*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_CABLE We aren't accept direct connection not
from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/pool\..*/i 553 AUTO_POOL We aren't accept direct connection not from
dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/.*dial(\.|-).*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_DIAL We aren't accept direct
connection not from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet
provider SMTP Server.
/ppp.*\..*/i 553 AUTO_PPP We aren't accept direct connection not from
dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/dslam.*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_DSLAM We aren't accept direct connection not
from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/dslb.*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_DSLB We aren't accept direct connection not
from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/node.*\..*\..*/i 553 AUTO_NODE We aren't accept direct connection not
from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP Server.
/.*\.dynamicIP\..*/i 553 AUTO_DYNAMIC We aren't accept direct connection
not from dedicated SMTP servers. Please use your internet provider SMTP
Server.

But this is not a generically acceptable policy even if is highly
effective against infected pc sending spam and doesn't even caused 1
single issue to my users.

So imho we should carefully add all the checks that could be useful and
then provide to the system administrator the opportunity, knowing what
he is doing, to enable or disabled the most aggressive antispam features.

Regards,

Fabio