[Kolab-devel] Question about horde patches

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Dec 6 10:04:08 CET 2007

Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> writes:

> Op Monday 03 December 2007 19:10:21 schreef Gunnar Wrobel:
>> > Why do those 2 modules provide exactly the same patches?
>>
>> Counterquestion: Do you know what fbview is or does? :) A Kolab server
>> offers a standard horde installation and "fbview" which is basically a
>> reduced kronolith installation. So we do in fact have two seperate
>> Horde installations on a Kolab server if the user chooses to install
>> both Horde and fbview. Consequently the patches used in the packages
>> are the same.
>
> Ah, now I understand why there are 2 modules!  To be sure, when I install
> kronolith with the FB patches, the FB is integrated in the kronolith (sub)
> menu?
>
>> > Now all the patches have been agregrated into 1 patch directory:
>> > server/patches/horde.  This is quite nice as those patches have the horde
>> > version in their name, so it is easy to determine on which horde they can
>> > be applied.  But those patches are the same as the once above, but
>> > because of their different they are not easy to map to the once above....
>>
>> I disagree. A sed statement to make the two comparable should be
>> trivial. At least as long as I get the filenames right.
>
> I agree with you, that 'sed' can easily rename the files, but it is not that
> trivial that (my) a human eye can easily connect the different files....

I reconsidered and would suggest that I reorganize the patch
directories as done within server/patches/php now.

So for horde I'd add subdiretories such as imp-3.2_rc1,
kronolith-3.2_r1,...

Would that be okay?

Cheers,
Gunnar

> [...]
>> packages within Kolab CVS but in OpenPKG CVS.
>>
>> If we wouldn't collect the patches there people like you (for SuSE)
>> and me (for Gentoo) would thus have to download the OpenPKG source
>> packages and try to discern what the patches are actually required
>> for.
>
> I appreciate the patches to be there very (very, very) much!
>
>> I still remeber doing that initially when I build the Kolab2/Gentoo
>> version and it was difficult work since I was unable to discern the
>> meaning of each patch. And for some I didn't know if it was a Kolab
>> relevant patch or if it was only required for OpenPKG to work.
>>
>> That is also the reason why I added the README files with the patches.
>>
>> For Horde the situation is the same. As a packager of a native Kolab
>> version your first point of reference should still be the
>> "server/patches" directory.
>>
>> I probably shouldn't have mixed the fbview specific patches with the
>> horde ones. I fixed this now and created a separate "fbview"
>> folder. But most patches actually match patches from the "horde"
>> directory. Maybe we should also split the current "server/horde"
>> directory into "server/horde" and "server/fbview" at some point.
>>
>> > In case the readme's in that directory are
>> > placed next to the patches in the cvs horde module, it would remain
>> > clear.  A single README in the server/patches/horde directory could
>> > explain how to obtain the patches (find server/horde -name "*patch") and
>> > eplain that there are README's for each patch.
>>
>> I will try to add more explicit instructions at a later point.
>>
>> > And what about the directory horde/horde-kronolith and
>> > horde/fbview-kronolith?   Can either one be removed?
>>
>> See above.
>>
>> So I guess the main problem originates from the distinction between
>> horde and fbview. I'll try to make the distinction clearer. But I also
>> suggest that you install the OpenPKG server just to see what you get
>> when you call http://mykolab.example.com/horde
>> vs. http://mykolab.example.com/fbview.
>
> I know this (since a long time), but with the introduction of horde I assumed
> that fbview would not exist as seperate thing.  Now I understand that there
> is a fully horde integrated fbview (or at least integrated in the menu) and a
> standalone fbview.
>
> My concern (problem) is that the same patch, is located at several places in
> cvs.  You know where they are, but will others know?  I mean, if I would
> commit a patch to cvs I would do it in server/patches/horde or in
> horde/<application>, but not in both....  It is even more difficult than
> this, some patches need to committed to 3 (perhaps more) locations.....  To
> me this looks very difficult to maintain (for others).....  (personnally I
> would like to see only 1 source file, all other files are generated from that
> (but not committed to cvs).  Well with the patches that does not seem
> possible, and the fact that they are so easily obtainable is appreciated!)

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg