[Kolab-devel] Question about horde patches

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Dec 3 19:10:21 CET 2007

Hi Richard,

Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> this question is probably for Gunnar as it is about horde patches, and most of
> these have been done by Gunnar.
>
> It looks like the horde patches are stored in a couple of places in cvs.  If I
> do the the following in de cvs module server/horde:
>

> # server/horde>  find -name "*patch" | cut -c3- | sort
> It results in:
> fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_menu.patch
> fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
> fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
> fbview-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
> fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
> fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
> horde-framework/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_concept.patch
> horde-framework/HK-GW-Fix_Prefs_for_Ingo.patch
> horde/HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch
> horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
> horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
> horde-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
> horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
> horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
> horde-nag/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
> horde-turba/HK-GW-Fix_editing_contacts.patch
> horde-turba/HK-GW-Fix_share_id_change.patch
> horde-turba/HK-GW-Ldap_read_only_fix.patch
>
> In total 18 files.  If I process the patches with md5sum, it appears that are
> some equal patches in there, but stored in a different directory....
>
> The once that are equal can all be found in the module: horde-kronolith
> compared to fbview-kronolith:
>  4688 fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
>  4688 horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_relevance.patch
>  5049 fbview-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
>  5049 horde-kronolith/HK-GW-Fbview_xfb_access.patch
>   566 fbview-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
>   566 horde-kronolith/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch
>  4370 fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
>  4370 horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_extra_params.patch
> 10148 fbview-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
> 10148 horde-kronolith/HK-SB-Fbview_save_attendees.patch
> (a diff shows that they are 100% equal).
>
> Why do those 2 modules provide exactly the same patches?

Counterquestion: Do you know what fbview is or does? :) A Kolab server
offers a standard horde installation and "fbview" which is basically a
reduced kronolith installation. So we do in fact have two seperate
Horde installations on a Kolab server if the user chooses to install
both Horde and fbview. Consequently the patches used in the packages
are the same.

> Now all the patches have been agregrated into 1 patch directory:
> server/patches/horde.  This is quite nice as those patches have the horde
> version in their name, so it is easy to determine on which horde they can be
> applied.  But those patches are the same as the once above, but because of
> their different they are not easy to map to the once above....

I disagree. A sed statement to make the two comparable should be
trivial. At least as long as I get the filenames right.

> Also in the server/patches/horde there are 12 patches (ls HK* | wc -) and in
> the horde cvs module there are 13 patches.  The patch that is present in the
> horce cvs modules is HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch
> Does this mean that the HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch should also be present
> in the patches/horde cvs module?

No it shouldn't. Thanks for mentioning it. I failed to remove it
properly when updating the package. The patch has been integrated
upstream and is part of RC1.

> Last I checked which patches are included in the spec files for the different
> horde applications, and this results in total 11 patches (see below).  The
> patches that are not included in the spec files are:
> horde/horde-nag/HK-JS-Fix_library_import.patch

This is included in horde-nag.spec as far as I can see.

> horde/horde/HK-GW-Deleting_categories.patch

See above.

> A request about the naming convention of the patches in the patches/horde
> directory.  I believe they are now called
> HK-<author>-<application>-<version>-*  In which I think HK stands for Horde
> Kolab is that correct?  Would it be possible to use:
> HK-<application>-<version>--<author>* so an 'ls' list all patches for 1
> application under eachother?

Yes, I can do that for the next release. There is no specific reason
for the current naming scheme other than my internal house keeping of
patches :)

> To conclude this email; what to do next ;) ?  Should things be cleaned up, or
> not?  I find the current situation confusing.

This is bad and of course not intended I will definitely try to
improve the situation.

> The pach directory might be nice, but is it really needed?

I believe it is needed and it serves a completely different function
than the package directories.

We currently collect all upstream patches required for the Kolab
server within "server/patches". We do that for Cyrus Imap, c-client
and php as well as for horde. I see this as an external reference
point that should provide the first location to look into if you are
interested in building the Kolab server on something other than
OpenPKG.

For Cyrus Imap, c-client and php it is absolutely required to have the
patches in Kolab CVS because we don't manage the corresponding
packages within Kolab CVS but in OpenPKG CVS.

If we wouldn't collect the patches there people like you (for SuSE)
and me (for Gentoo) would thus have to download the OpenPKG source
packages and try to discern what the patches are actually required
for.

I still remeber doing that initially when I build the Kolab2/Gentoo
version and it was difficult work since I was unable to discern the
meaning of each patch. And for some I didn't know if it was a Kolab
relevant patch or if it was only required for OpenPKG to work.

That is also the reason why I added the README files with the patches.

For Horde the situation is the same. As a packager of a native Kolab
version your first point of reference should still be the
"server/patches" directory.

I probably shouldn't have mixed the fbview specific patches with the
horde ones. I fixed this now and created a separate "fbview"
folder. But most patches actually match patches from the "horde"
directory. Maybe we should also split the current "server/horde"
directory into "server/horde" and "server/fbview" at some point.

> In case the readme's in that directory are
> placed next to the patches in the cvs horde module, it would remain clear.  A
> single README in the server/patches/horde directory could explain how to
> obtain the patches (find server/horde -name "*patch") and eplain that there
> are README's for each patch.

I will try to add more explicit instructions at a later point.

> And what about the directory horde/horde-kronolith and horde/fbview-kronolith?
> Can either one be removed?

See above.

So I guess the main problem originates from the distinction between
horde and fbview. I'll try to make the distinction clearer. But I also
suggest that you install the OpenPKG server just to see what you get
when you call http://mykolab.example.com/horde
vs. http://mykolab.example.com/fbview.

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg