[Kolab-devel] Kolab fbview (was: RFC: Horde roadmap)

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Aug 3 11:39:41 CEST 2007

Moving from the internal discussion list to kolab-devel. Please
respond there.

Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> writes:

> On Thursday 02 August 2007 15:04, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:

>> This week I started on the integration of Horde into Kolab CVS which
>> will also lead to removal of the old Horde elements in Kolab. I wanted
>> to give you an overview of my current plans and ask for feedback on
>> some items.
>
> thanks.
> I think some of the technical and schedule things we could also
> discussion in the larger round of kolab-devel.

>> 2) Horde fbview
>>
>> I originally thought it might be a little bit complex to have both a
>> fbview and a standard horde installation on a single system but later
>> realized that the effort is minimal. I made fbview an optional package
>> now and the user is able to install it with "install-kolab.sh -F". It
>> will be possible to install both fbview and Horde using
>> "install-kolab.sh -F -H" once the Horde packages are ready for 2.2.
>> We should probably still decide if fbview should be kept or not but at
>> least it would be easy to keep both around.
>
> My current tendency is to keep it, because it has a single use case
> to create an overview about many calenders and the deal with the .xfb
> files for which there is not other interface.
> I later have to test how could Horde could replace a stand-a-lone .xfb viewer.

I have the same tendency since it is

a) not too hard to maintain the special fbview installation

b) it only requires two of the horde apps (horde and horde-kronolith)

c) handling the same use case in the full horde installation is way
   more complex. The user would have to move to the calendar view,
   edit an event and modify the attendees of the event. These are
   three steps instead of "login and there you go".

And since it can be handled as an add-on package users won't even have
two horde installations around in case they don't want to use fbview.

Cheers,

Gunnar