[Kolab-devel] php5 dom and php4 domxml

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Mon Apr 30 22:51:42 CEST 2007

Hi Marcus,

Marcus Hüwe <suse-tux at gmx.de> writes:

> I just played around with the kolab freebusy stuff and noticed that it doesn't
> work with php5 because php5 doesn't support php4's domxml functions.
>
> Here are some proposals how to solve this problem:
> - kolab (openpkg) switches to php5 after the 2.1 release

I don't know if OpenPKG is providing PHP5 at the moment but in any
case I believe we are still at a phase where you should always allow
to use both PHP4 and PHP5. There are still many webapps that do not
work with PHP5 and providing only the newer version does not seem to
be an optimal solution.

> - we write a "dom_wrapper"-script so that kolab can be used with php4 and php5

This does already exist within Horde::DOM. Basically there exists only
one wrapper script in the wild and this has also been used as a basis
for the Horde::DOM module (only the coding style was converted to
Horde style).

> - we use Horde's DOM implementation (I didn't look into this yet, I just saw
> that Gunnar is using it for gentoo).

The patches for this have been already prepared and all that is needed
is to replace the Horde framework packages within Kolab and fix
kolab-resource-handlers accordingly.

So I think the last solution is the most promising one.

Cheers,

Gunnar