[Kolab-devel] finely grained access to part of kolab : spam, virus, smtpdpolicy

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:05:21 CEST 2007

I thing it should be interesting to disable separately some port of kolab.
With 2.1 it not possible to disable spamassassin without disabling
virus checking !
While Spam checking is optional, I thing Virus checking is essential
and in case of
problems (like heavy load) it should be possible do disable them separately.
I thing it was possible in 2.0 ? Wasn't ?

Any comment ?

Now about smtpdpolicy.
I read in /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_smtpdpolicy :

# 1) Only authenticated users can use sender <username>@$domain

This is a good idea, but this collide with some habit people have. Like sending
email using its company's domain from home using ISP smtp !
The email will be accepted by the ISP and rejected by Kolab server !
But any email send to address <username>@$another_domain, will
be accepted and reach final destination without error.
This could confuse people (like I was) !

Give the choice in the GUI console will draw the attention of the
administrator on
this possible problem !
A note about "554 <username>@$domain: Sender address rejected: Invalid sender"
in the documentation or the wiki will ne be too luxurious

May I notice that the exactly same feature could be reached using the
more standard and more general www.openspf.org !
This will also let other take benefice of the same protection.

Any comment is welcome

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you