[Kolab-devel] SPL for Kolab Webinterface

Raphael Langerhorst raphael at raphael.g-system.at
Fri Oct 20 12:53:10 CEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 19. Oktober 2006 20:42 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

[... snip ...]

> > Richard is right: It would be hell of an effort to develop an interface
> > from ground up, and it would disintegrate the community and bind valuable
> > developer resources. Better fix the Horde interface and profit from
> > security fixes from that neighbouring community.
>
> It is not a good idea, if it is more work to do this
> than to create a different interface,
> probably also sharing work on the components, e.g. selecting good
> libraries.
>
> > The tendency to build every little application again and again from
> > ground up is a great hindrance to the entire Open Source community and it
> > will eventually lead to a huge landscape of incompatible and half-baked
> > solutions.
>
> There is a tendency to reinvent the wheel, but not in this particular case.
> In general sometimes it is even better for the Free Software community
> to do a new design than to do carry on with solutions that have a
> non-suitable design and will take more effort to maintain reasonably.
> The last word on Horde is not out yet,
> so if we get Horde to a point where it will be easier to fix
> and maintain, it would be cool of course.
> So there are a few people that actually do little improvements
> to Horde and we will see how far this gets.
>
> But given that (older) estimation we should also look into
> alternatives.
>
> > 4000 Euros? Well, better multiply by 100, to be realistic. Then you'll
> > have a solid funding... The alternative would be to engage developers
> > from countries like India. Then 4k Euros will yield about 10 developer
> > months.
>
> A good webinterface will need the experience and communication with
> people that have the enterprise experience with Kolab. And currently
> many of those people sit in Europe. To my knowledge about prices
> of qualified developers from India, we will not get that far with 4K
> and it would also not help for the described reasons.
>
> I have chatted with Raphael and he has adjusted the estimation
> already. He took into account more feedback about the difficulties.
> I do not think that hitting new initatives with general arguments
> is a good idea. New programming languages and approaches have the chance
> of significant different levels of efficiency and need to be considered
> seriously.
>
> Best,
> Bernhard

Hi all,

I just want to let you know that we're still investigating our approach to the
kolab webinterface and we will come up with a final estimation and an outline
of our approach early next week - unless we come to the conclusion that we
are not able to do it.

So far we certainly consider it as a challenge (more so by now), but in
particular the combination of libraries and tools may enable us to come up
with a sophisticatd solution (which was the point in my first email on this
subject).

Also, as I've noted before, I hope that this doesn't have a negative effect on
the efforts to integrate horde. As the webinterface seems to be a difficult
job it's probably good to have various approaches, to have at least one
solution in the end.

Raphael Langerhorst
http://raphael.g-system.at
PGP Fingerprint: FB70 E4F0 40EF 071B F266 40D4 32C6 A578 46C4 8559