[Kolab-devel] PC performance related problems with Kontact?

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at itsef.com
Mon Nov 27 17:52:06 CET 2006

Hi all,

I'm wondering about something: Could it be possible that the performance of
the PC has some influence on Kontact behaving badly or not? I've had a user
come to me twice today, running into something that resembles issue1432 and
something I started a thread on kolab-user
(http://kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-users/2006-October/005442.html) about.
Basically, he would create a new task, sync it, edit is some time later, sync
again and end up with a conflict dialog. I was sitting next to him once when
this happened and had a look at the task in question. I found that there were
two copies of the task in the Tasks folder on the server and one in the local
DIMAP cache. The one in the DIMAP cache had a different "X-Uid" in the header
- for the rest, the three messages were identical. The same user also
reported several cases where tasks would vanish from sight (similar to
issue1498) or vanish completely (i.e. also from the server/DIMAP cache).
Restarting Kontact and rebuilding the cache of the Tasks folder helps, but
only for a while, then the problem starts again.

On my own machine, I have never had any problems with tasks - only with
appointments (hence issue1498), even though I use both quite often. The only
difference between the two PCs is horsepower - his PC is a PIII/866 whereas
mine is P4/3.2GHz. The OS installation (SuSE 10.0) is identical (we use
auto-install).
I'm aware of issue1390 (Sync Performance bad, blocking machine while parsing
headers), which seems to be the only "horsepower-relaetd" problem I could
find. Right now, I'm out of ideas...

Cheerio,

Thomas