[Kolab-devel] [issue1484] Warnings using openldap = 2.3.27-2.20061018_kolab

Jørgen Hermanrud Fjeld jhf at linpro.no
Fri Nov 24 00:12:05 CET 2006

Hi.

On 2006-11-21 13:07:21, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 21. November 2006 10:17 schrieb Jørgen H. Fjeld:
> > I requested the change to improve validation in Kolab, but I have not
> > pursued it yet, since Kolab didn't seem to move to openldap 2.3 yet. If you
> > do, please have this goal of better data integrity in mind.
>
> I very much like to improve consistency checking withing Kolab. Overlays can
> help us here as I assume there is no significant scalability penality to pay.

There are two overlays that are quite interesting for kolab.
Here is an excerpt from my openldap 2.3 slapd.conf
#### Using overlays to improve data consistency
# Ensure that we never get dangling member attributes
overlay refint
refint_attributes member
# The mail and the uid attribute must be unique.
overlay unique
unique_attributes mail uid
####

I believe both overlays use one extra ldap search to enforce the restrictions
upon changes to ldap.
Given that in principle writes are expensive and reads are cheap, the cost of
adding a cheap operation to an already expensive operation is negligible.

The option "with_overlays yes" is now standard in newer OpenLDAP
OpenPKG packages "http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=29546".

--
MVH
Jørgen H. Fjeld