[Kolab-devel] Can Horde be fixed? (Re: kolabd package available in Debian sid)

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri May 12 15:28:50 CEST 2006

Zitat von Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>:

> Hi Tobias!
>
> [ In my view we should discuss this on kolab-devel,
> thus crossposting and setting a mail-followup-header.]
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:24:52AM +0200, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>> I'm just subscribed to kolab-dev ;)
>
>> getting up a Horde as Kolabfrontend is possible. The Share-Sync
>> code needs some update though, but when that is done, it's equal to
>> other kolab clients from a technical point of view.
>
> Does this mean you are using imap in a disconnected mode?
> Like the KDE Kontact Client or Outlook with the proprietary connectors.

No, as any web application, Horde is not using disconnected IMAP mode, but:

>> the kolab driver reads the data objects directly from the
>> imap server when the user logs in and saves them to the imap server on
>> modifications. So no additional database is involved.
>
> Where is your cache that is necessary for the disconnected mode located?
> How often is the sync done?

A lot of effort has been put into our IMAP libraries recently to
enable and further improve mailbox caching. This was mainly required
for DIMP and IMP, but I guess that the Kolab drivers could utilize
these features too.

There are two kind of caches in Horde, session cache which stores the
cached objects in the user's PHP session, and persistant cache which
currently has drivers for storing the cache in the filesystem, in a
memcache server, or in the Zend Performance Suite. Both are used for
different purposes.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/