[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's web frontend or not

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 30 21:32:58 CEST 2006

Op vrijdag 30 juni 2006 00:01, schreef Richard Bos:
> Are there more details available compared to the ones listed on the wiki
> page?

I'll give it a try myself based on the information on the horde page in the
kolab wiki http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Horde;

On that wiki page Martin (Konold) states that horde is:
a) the biggest liability and headache with kolab2, and
b) the interface is overly complex for many users.

About point b)
I'm using horde (Ingo and IMP) now for some time and I like the interface,
It's intuitive, looks good and works well.  I have not tried kronolith nor
MIMP (email client for mobile devices).
Trying to develop this from scratch will be an enormous job..., which I don't
expect to happen or whne it happens takes ages.  Besides this, the horde
interface has been translated to many languages already...  which is a big
plus imho.

point a) does not give the reason for the headache and the liability with
kolab.  It would be nice to get that clear.

To be resolved:
1) horde should not connect to kolab using the manager's account
2) add ldap datatree driver (to remove mysql dependency)
3) add disconnected imap

3) seems clear to be

About 1 and 2) I would like to go over the horde configuration tabs, to see
what is populated there and what should be changed:

The database tab is populated with MySQL as database backend.  In case of an
ideal world should this tab be populated for kolab, or should it be possible
to leave this alone and don't populate it?  Or should the database backend be
kolab, which than uses ldap to store the data?
In my horde setup, the horde database contains only empty relations...

The authentication tab is populated with 'horde-admin at domain.tld' as
administrator and the the authentication backend is 'kolab authentication'.
This looks fine to me.  No need to change anything here I would think.

The preference system tab, is populated with kolab (ldap) as preference
driver.  This looks fine to me.  No need to change anything here I would
think.

The datatree tab is populated with 'SQL databse' as backend with 'horde
defaults' as 'driver configuration'.
I don't know what it means -> no opinion...

The Mailer tab has been configured to use 'smtp' for sending mail, with no
authentication.  Not sure whether this is okay and works....

The kolab tab contains many fields...., divided in 3 sections:
ldap settings, cyrus imap server settings and the smtp settings....

Let' start with the last one smtp settings, aren't these a duplicate of the
Mailer tab, where the smtp server is specified as well?

The cyrus imap server settings contain kolab's manager and the manager's
password settings.
I assume that this is not desired and that this should be changed?

The ldap server settings contain kolab's manager and the manager's password
settings.  Hmm, I just discovered tha the Bind Password in my configuration
is not correct.  This does not seem to harm the horde functioning at all.
Anyway I assume that the manager's password should be removed here as well?

At the end should it actually be possible to remove the special kolab tab and
have all data configured using the other tabs.  I envision that there be a
enable/disable kolab field somewhere...

It would be nice to get feedback on the questions/statements/remarks above so
it gets more clear what needs to be done to make horde a liable kolab
webclient.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless