[Kolab-devel] [issue1265] Crash on sending large email (out of memory)

Torsten Irländer kolab-issues at intevation.de
Wed Jun 7 15:16:05 CEST 2006

New submission from Torsten Irländer <torsten.irlaender at intevation.de>:

There is a reported problem from one of our customers that kontact crashes
after sending large mails with attachement. It is reported for mails with an
18MB attachement. Kontact crashes after we send the mail for a second time.

While testing on issue1222 I managed to crash kontact with out of memory
error. Till guess was:

Till's guess:
============
Hm, I'm guessing this is not related to signing, but rather to sending large
messages in general. The to-be-sent data is copied several times, in memory,
and KMail is known to consume huge amounts of memory, while sending large
attachments. Looks like he OOM killer eventually nukes either KMail or the
kio_imap4 slave. I'll see if I can find a way to reduce the memory consumption
at least to reasonable levels.

konsole output:
===============
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::read( 0x85b7568, 4096 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::read( 0x85b7568, 4096 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::read( 0x85b7568, 4096 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::read( 0x85b7568, 4096 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::read( 0x85b7568, 4096 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::read( 0x85b7568, 4096 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::write( 0xbf946870, 189 )
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::release()
QGpgME::QByteArrayDataProvider::release()
In file tools/qgarray.cpp, line 457: Out of memory
*** KMail got signal 11 (Crashing)
kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header read failed, errno=104
kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Header has invalid size (-1)

So I am opening this new issue to focus on the memory part.

assignedto: till
messages: 7612
nosy: bernhard, till, torsten
priority: bug
status: unread
title: Crash on sending large email (out of memory)
topic: kde client