[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's web frontend or not

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at gentoo.org
Tue Jul 4 10:07:18 CEST 2006

> So the question is whether horde really needs it. This is something
> that Jan could probably answer. I not yet deep enough into Horde
> shares to understand the requirements. But I guess there might be ways
> to omit the standard way horde handles shares. If there would be no
> need to store additional data on the groupware shares then it would
> also be possible to get rid of the datatree.

I did take another look at the relation between Horde Shares and the
DataTree driver.

The Share concept is somthing that is used by all horde apps that are
relevant for the kolab groupware features. So it definitely has to be
used.

Data about Horde Shares is kept within the DataTree. From the code
segments I have read so far and from the functionality provided by the
Share concept I am still convinced that the data saved for Horde
Shares only comprises of information that is provided by the IMAP
folders themselves. So I would say it is not necessary to duplicate
that information within the datatree.

The DataTree concept is not only used for Shares within Horde
though. There are other parts that use it as well for storing
arbitrary data values. So it would not be possible to write a DataTree
driver that is based on imap folders.

I guess the most logical solution would be to extend the Share concept
and provide different drivers for this package. The current version
could be split in an abstract Share definition and a datatree
driver. Then it would be possible to provide a specialized kolab
driver that uses the IMAP folder information.

This solution would also allow to get rid of the DataTree for a
Kolab-oriented Horde installation.

Jan, should I rather post this to the horde mailing list?

--
Gunnar Wrobel                    Gentoo Developer

Mail: wrobel at gentoo.org
WWW:  http://www.gunnarwrobel.de
IRC:  #gentoo-web at freenode.org