[Kolab-devel] horde as kolab's web frontend or not

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jul 3 10:34:40 CEST 2006

Zitat von Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl>:

> To be resolved:
> 1) horde should not connect to kolab using the manager's account
> 2) add ldap datatree driver (to remove mysql dependency)
> 3) add disconnected imap
>
> 3) seems clear to be
>
> About 1 and 2) I would like to go over the horde configuration tabs, to see
> what is populated there and what should be changed:
>
> The database tab is populated with MySQL as database backend.  In case of an
> ideal world should this tab be populated for kolab, or should it be possible
> to leave this alone and don't populate it?  Or should the database backend be
> kolab, which than uses ldap to store the data?
> In my horde setup, the horde database contains only empty relations...

It's already possible to set the database backend to "None". All
systems that need a storage backend and have support for Kolab already
have "Kolab" in their drop down lists. DataTree is the only system
that only has an SQL backend to select in the configuration tab.

> The datatree tab is populated with 'SQL databse' as backend with 'horde
> defaults' as 'driver configuration'.
> I don't know what it means -> no opinion...

See above.

> The Mailer tab has been configured to use 'smtp' for sending mail, with no
> authentication.  Not sure whether this is okay and works....

It can be used to use the credentials of the logged in user if necessary.

> The kolab tab contains many fields...., divided in 3 sections:
> ldap settings, cyrus imap server settings and the smtp settings....
>
> Let' start with the last one smtp settings, aren't these a duplicate of the
> Mailer tab, where the smtp server is specified as well?

It's possible that the Kolab libraries in Horde require these settings
for some reason, even if the admin chooses to set the mail "Mailer"
setting to use a sendmail binary instead. I don't know. It's also
possible that Stuart's idea was to simply keep all Kolab configuration
in a single tab.

> The cyrus imap server settings contain kolab's manager and the manager's
> password settings.
> I assume that this is not desired and that this should be changed?

Again, I don't know, we would have to look at the code where these
settings are used.

> The ldap server settings contain kolab's manager and the manager's password
> settings.  Hmm, I just discovered tha the Bind Password in my configuration
> is not correct.  This does not seem to harm the horde functioning at all.
> Anyway I assume that the manager's password should be removed here as well?

Thanks to Gunnar, a setting has been added for the
cn=nobody,cn=internal user. See http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=4049.
I don't know Kolab well enough to decide whether this (non-admin) user
can be used anywhere else.

> At the end should it actually be possible to remove the special kolab tab and
> have all data configured using the other tabs.  I envision that there be a
> enable/disable kolab field somewhere...

Yes, that's also one point of the Kolab tab.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/