[Kolab-devel] IMAPD vs IMAPS

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jan 25 12:29:02 CET 2006

Am Montag, 23. Januar 2006 12:57 schrieb gelpi at corona.it:
> Now I configured a client (thunderbird) to access 7 of these accounts
> (about 1 GB data).
>
> All is doing well only if I connect using IMAPD (port 143).
>
> If I use imap over ssl (port 993) after a while I got some problems. It
> seems that the connection closes or dies on the server without
> notification to the client, that after a timeout must reconnect.
>
> This problem is more evident using a mac os x with mail (the client
> included)

It would be interesting to check if this is a generic upstream bug.
Can you reproduce those problems with a vanilla cyrus imapd,
maybe on a different distribution, too?

Another interesting aspect is if you have a similiar problem
when using TLS over the 143 port. Have you tried this?

> Here exist the function to syncronized all the configured accounts via
> imap.
>
> After first syncronization that tooks some ours (1 GB to copy locally),
> Imap syncronization tooks tens of seconds, but if i select ssl it tooks
> quit 10 minutes.
>
> Debugging the problem I saw that every about 15/20 seconds the transfer
> of data stopped for about 1 minute.
>
> On /kolab/var/imapd/log/imapd.log I saw:
>
> Jan 22 00:12:26 dafnen <debug> imaps[28229]: open: user liste at gelpi.it
> opened INBOX/Sent/Personali/Campanale

> The syncronization of last subfolder was not completed (the client is
> waiting), but everything is calm for a minute. Then ...
>

> Now this subfolder ended syncronization.
>
> Jan 22 00:13:31 dafnen <debug> imaps[28229]: open: user liste at gelpi.it
> opened INBOX/a-sistemi/a-pic_gelpi_it
> Jan 22 00:13:49 dafnen <debug> imaps[28231]: open: user liste at gelpi.it
> opened INBOX/a-sistemi/a-recla_it
> Jan 22 00:15:23 dafnen <debug> imaps[28231]: accepted connection
>
> Can someone tell me how can I debug what's happening?

You could try debugging methods on the imapd, like running
it under strace to see what is happening while it pauses.
The pause might also happen at the client of course.

> I don't know if this is connected to the fact that mac os x says that
> /kolab/etc/kolab/cert.pem is not a valid x509 certificate. The reason
> seems to be that there is not a root certificate over it.

You can import the root certifcate of the try-out-ca that Kolab Server
comes with. Please keep in mind that it actually it is not a full blown
CA, but mainly serves the purpose of having something to work
with when testing Kolab.