[Kolab-devel] Proposal to add "autocreate" patches to Cyrus IMAP

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Tue Jan 3 17:04:58 CET 2006

Am Montag, 2. Januar 2006 08:53 schrieb Fabio Pietrosanti:
> I found those patches on the net which seems very stable and well tested.

I wonder what the reasons are that they did not get included so far,
though. ;)

> - Autocreation of Cyrus INBOX:
> http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autocreate/
>
> - Autosievefilter
> http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autosievefolder/
>
> Let's consider what Autocreate could do for Kolab Project:
> What if kolab will stop creating the mailbox on every kolab master/slave
> server and only create it dynamically?
> How much complexity could be removed from the account creation process?

Not much (I expect) as kolabd also takes care of the deletion
and possibly of a few other tasks in relation of the existance of an user
account.

> Let's consider what Autosievefilter could do for Kolab Project:
> Why not automatically send to "Spam" folder email tagged as SPAM by
> amavis/Spamassassin by default?

Any sieve filter can do this, autofilter could only set one per default
if I understood this correctly.
Note that kolabd probably will have to deal with sieve scripts in the future
anyway (we need to improve in this area to set vacation scripts forwarding
and the like, there are a few issues concerning this functionality around
already.)

> Notice that Linux Debian include by default autocreate + autosievefilter
> patches in their Cyrus IMAP package.
>
> This would be important bit to:
> - remove complexity
> - save time to system administrators
>
> Obviously only if this does not break anything and is considered usefull
> by others.

Because we already have kolabd which will have to interact with imapd
for other reasons, I do not expect much improvements or complexity reduction
by using autocreate or autosievefilter.

Just my impression after looking at it for a few minutes...

Bernhard