[Kolab-devel] [issue1147] smtp_use_tls = yes" enabled by default

Richard Bos kolab-issues at intevation.de
Mon Feb 27 10:34:38 CET 2006

New submission from Richard Bos <radoeka at xs4all.nl>:

Am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 21:49 schrieb Richard Bos:
> Op woensdag 15 februari 2006 10:20, schreef Fabio Pietrosanti:
> > > In short: if encryption is necessary you make it mandantory, if it's
> > > nice to have but you can't enforce it you take it when it is offered
> > > but you don't rely on it.
> > >

> > My own email server which was running with a custom installation of
> > postfix ever used smtp_tls and i found that 30-35% of smtp server
> > negotiate tls connection.
> >
> > Imho it should be enabled, it's just an "encrypt if you can" that, if
> > required, could be turned in "only encrypt!" with a single line of
> > configuration.
> >
> > So it would give users the ability to have as a standard feature the
> > "encryption whether possibile" and enable "full encryption" if the
> > policy require it commenting a single line of configuration file.
> >
> > I agree in enabling it by default
>
> So you agree with having "smtp_use_tls = yes" enabled by default?
>
> How to continue, is a big report required for this?

I agree it should be enabled, but I want Martin's and Steffen's oppinion
on it, if they have time.
So creating a server issue in the tracker wouild be useful.

For more information about this issue, see kolab-devel (February 2006)
subject is "Add additional tls settings for postfix client side")

messages: 6652
nosy: rbos
priority: wish
status: unread
title: smtp_use_tls = yes" enabled by default