[Kolab-devel] x86_64

Tim Dodge timmy at invisibles.org
Tue Dec 5 23:29:06 CET 2006

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Stéphane Konstantaropoulos <skonstant at sgul.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> We are going to set up Kolab on new servers here, running 64 bit
>> distributions, I still have not been able to build Kolab (latest 2.1) for 64
>> bit. Some perl packages that contain x86 asm still configure themselves to
>> compile for x86, which generates errors.
>
> I know of two larger installations that installed Kolab on Gentoo on
> 64bit.
>
> Both had the same problem once they went into production: The cyrus
> lmtp process died frequently leaving the system unable to deliver
> e-mails anymore. I did have access to one of the servers and was
> unable to reproduce the problem once we removed the users from the
> machine. And I did put a very high load onto the mail processing
> machinery. I was unable to identify the origin of the problem and my
> guess was that it was related to running on 64bit. It might also be a
> specific Gentoo problem. Did anybody experience a similar problem?
>
> The two discussions around the problem happened on the project forum
> and there is also an open bug:
>
> http://forum.pardus.de/index.php?topic=27.0
>
> http://bug.pardus.de/view.php?id=72
>
> So I'm really interested in hearing more about 64bit experiments.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar

I'm running current kolab-on-gentoo on an Intel Core 2 Duo in 64bit mode
and also see the same problem.

In my experience, it's only Thunderbird that causes the imap (not lmtp)
process to segfault and become unresponsive. From my logs:

Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost master[20802]: about to exec /usr/lib/cyrus/imapd
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost imap[20802]: executed
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost master[20803]: about to exec /usr/lib/cyrus/imapd
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost imap[20802]: accepted connection
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost imap[20803]: executed
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost imap[20803]: accepted connection
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost master[24434]: process 20802 exited, signaled
to death by 11
Dec  2 09:37:57 jackfrost master[24434]: service imap pid 20802 in BUSY
state: terminated abnormally

It happens infrequently, maybe once a day. It seems to happen less often
if I reduce the number of server connections Thunderbird uses.

I've tried cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-r20.ebuild (which needed a bit of
hand-holding to get it to compile), and the same problem no longer
happens. I'm not using it at the moment (I had a disk crash and lost
that install), but I recall that when Thunderbird was shut down, it
would complain about the server closing the connection. I *think* that a
cyrus process died at that point, but it never left the server
unresponsive, like 2.2 does.

Cheers,
Tim