[Kolab-devel] python connector - preliminary ideas

Torsten Irländer torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
Fri Dec 1 17:38:20 CET 2006

On Friday, 1. December 2006 15:05, Stéphane Konstantaropoulos wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is more loud talk than actual design.
>
> Python has the imaplib library that allow to access almost all the features
> of IMAP4rev1. However it does not have any object oriented way of directly
> accessing messages.
>
> A little problem there is that the annotations are supported only from
> Python 2.5, we could check for the version and if it's an older version we
> are running we could just use the standard names ("Calendar", "Contacts",
> "Tasks" and "Journal").
Well I am far away from beeing an expert on this, but it might be an idea to
take a look on the twisted library which provides nice imap functionality too
and combines this with an elegant way of writing asyncronous network
applications which might become handy. The drawback of this approach is to
introduce another library.
Anyway, I do not know if twisted is of any benefit for this connector but I
wanted to throw another idea into this discussion.

> How do you want to split the code? all in one file or split between smaller
> files: kolab.py or kolab/Kolab.py kolab/Calendar.py...
From the point of reusability of the code in other projects I would prefer to
split the funcionallity in smaller files. So they can choose only the
funcionallity they need and not more. If this connector would results in an
importable module, this seems to be a good idea for me.

--
Torsten Irländer                                    Intevation GmbH

torsten.irlaender at intevation.de
http://www.intevation.de/