[Kolab-devel] [issue1398] "hidden" and "internal" attributes for distribution lists confusing

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at itsef.com
Wed Aug 30 10:11:45 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 09:32, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 07:28:12AM +0000, T. Ribbrock wrote:
> > New submission from T. Ribbrock <itsef-admin at itsef.com>:

> > I just tried creating a "hidden" distribution list which got listed as
> > "internal" in the list of DLs. I was therefore assuming that this list
> > would not accept mails from "outside" (i.e. outside out domain). To my
> > great surprise I could send mail to this list from any external account
> > (e.g. from home). After studying the bugtracker, I found issue197 which -
> > *if* I understand it correctly - states that this is normal. If that's
> > the case, I find the labels "hidden" and "internal" very confusing, as
> > that's not what this option does.
>
> Like mentioned in the comment of this field, the distribution list
> marked as hidden will not be visible in the addressbook... So what would
> be a better name?

If the comment next to the field *had* been "will not be visible in the
addressbook" the intention of the "hidden" option would have been much
clearer. However, when I go to the web interface and create a new DL, the
comment next to the "hidden" checkbox reads "Check here to make this
distribution list available only to authenticated users" (Kolab server 2.0.4)
- which I interpreted as "non-authenticated users cannot send mail to this
list". I'm still unsure with regard to a better label, but at least for me an
"internal" list is a list that will not accept *external* mail. Maybe the
best option is to change the label in the DL list from "internal" to "hidden"
and add a better comment to the "Create new DL" dialog.

Cheerio,

Thomas