[Kolab-devel] Can Horde be fixed? (Re: kolabd package available in Debian sid)

Wolf Wiegand wiegand at univention.de
Fri Aug 18 14:09:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

Martin Konold schrieb:
> Am Dienstag, 23. Mai 2006 18:56 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
>
> > At least the groupware object emails MUST be
> > cached, otherwise you will need to completely search, retrieve and
> > parse the relevant folders if you want to just re-display.
>
> This is very much correct. E.g. in order to be able to make use of
> the calendar a Kolab clients needs access to all object at once.
> (Think about recurrances etc.)

We did some tests regarding the performance of the horde calendar client
(kronolith2) and I wanted to share some of our insights we gained. We
used horde 3.1.1 and kronolith2 2.1.1, with cyrus hosted on the same
machine as the horde installation.

kronolith was configured to only show the user's calendar, which had a
bit above 200 single appointments in it. Even with this small number,
it took about one minute to switch from month view to week view
(surprisingly, vice versa only took about 15 seconds).

I started stracing the apache process and found out that the switch to
week view resulted in a massive amount of requests sent to cyrus. With
215 appointments, there were about 1700 SEARCH- and 6460 FETCH-commands
issued. I don't have that much insight into kronolith and horde, but
this seemed way to much just for retrieving, processing, and displaying
~200 single events.

Regards,

Wolf

--
Wolf Wiegand         wiegand at univention.de        Fon: +49 421 22232- 0
Entwicklung          Linux for Your Business