[Kolab-devel] providing "real" sources

Marcus Hüwe suse-tux at gmx.de
Thu Aug 17 21:41:10 CEST 2006

On 2006-08-17 19:23:03 +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 16. August 2006 21:49 schrieb Marcus Hüwe:
> > what about providing "real" sources (e.g. tar.bz2) for the kolab snapshots?
>
> I have nothing against this in principle,
> but we currently might lack the workforce to make this a reality.

hmmm - normally it doesn't take much time:
cd kolabd/kolabd
patch -p1 < /path/to/patch
./bootstrap
./configure
make distcheck

And you have a clean tarball which you can distribute :) (ok this has to be done
for kwa, krh and perl-kolab as well). I think that's the right task for a small
bash script *g*

> > At the moment there are only openpkg src.rpms
> > http://max.kde.org:8080/mirrors/ftp.kolab.org/server/development/20060811-s
> >ince-20060111/sources/ It would be nice to have tarballs too so everyone can
> > install them on a "normal" system without problems (for example without
> > unpacking the rpms etc..).
> > I attached patches for the kolabd, krh, kwa and perl-kolab packages.
>
> Can you make a wish and attach the patches?
Yep - i'll do.

> Are there negative side effect to the patches?

No - but it would be nice not to apply this patches to CVS because otherwise
you have to specify the --distpath-option all the time if you run configure
(the current buildmechanism always uses the newest kolabd/kolabddist_conf/ dir from cvs
automatically) but for the tarballs it would be great :)

> > This would make the whole kolab-buildmechanism much more easier for
> > new/normal users IMHO.
>
> I think most normal and new users should use the current distribution with
> obmtool, but nontheless, it would be good to have tarballs.
>
> Bernhard

Marcus