[Kolab-devel] Please get rid of OpenPKG

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Thu Aug 17 16:58:06 CEST 2006

* Michael Stucki <mundaun at gmx.ch> [20060817 13:25]:
> In my opinion the focus of Kolab to OpenPKG is one of the biggest mistakes
> around Kolab. It hinders people to install it because they break almost
> every part of their system behind.

I don't like many aspects of OpenPKG, too, but it makes some thing
much easier, e.g. have comparable setups on different distributions.

> - Need to upgrade two systems in one (with different upgrade methods)
> - You need to maintain extra software which would have been provided by
>   upstream distributions

Yes, very true.

> - Configuration difficulties/hacks/unclean solutions

OTOH initial configuration is much easier.

> - Server slowdown because of duplicate work / memory usage

I don't think this matters much. If you have few users, you have
enough resources, if you have many users, the (constant) overhead is
only a small percentage.

> As far as I remember the reason for you choosing OpenPKG was that you did
> need to make some changes to other products like Postfix. Is this still
> true or did they incorporate your changes meanwhile? Is anybody working on
> this?

This is still true. While some patches are already are included by
upstream software, others are not.

> If that is not done yet and Kolab still depends on changed components, I
> suggest that you create an own distribution which is built on e.g. Debian
> and contains the modified components inside.

OpenPKG is this "own distribution".

Regards,
Thomas

Email: thomas at intevation.de