[Kolab-devel] [issue1361] kontact hangs on dimap sync

Bernhard Herzog kolab-issues at intevation.de
Thu Aug 17 15:04:48 CEST 2006

New submission from Bernhard Herzog <bh at intevation.de>:

For me kontact often hangs with an infinite loop when doing a dimap sync.  The
sync starts fine and the suddenly no progress is made anymore.  The kontact
process comsumes 100% CPU and doesn't redraw the window anymore.  The only way
I've found to stop it is to kill the kontact process.  Afterwards the dimap
cache can be broken (for instance I see duplicate entries in the message list)
so I try to reconstruct the dimap cache.  Kontact hangs again with the same
symptoms.  Usually on the same folder, but not always.

I have managed to find a workaround: deactivate all the resources in the
Contacts part.  Then the sync works fine.  I've done this only once today,
though, so it may have succeeded by chance.

When I attach gdb to the kontact process and look at the backtrace, it always
seems to have something to do with geometry negotiations in the GUI.  My guess
is that it is triggered by resource updates that happen because the sync
modifies the local resource folders.  I've attached a typical backtrace.

I use an online imap account together with a dimap account.  The dimap account
basically only has the resource folders.

The kontact version is svn rev. 573308 of proko2 branch.

files: kontact-sync-gui-loop-backtrace.txt
messages: 8227
nosy: bh
priority: bug
status: unread