[Kolab-devel] lower case shared folder names

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Aug 11 11:33:34 CEST 2006

Am Montag, 7. August 2006 11:53 schrieb Tobias Koenig:

Hi,

> is there a special reason why names of shared folders are always
> converted to lower case in the web admin frontend?
>
> The only reason I see is to prevent the creation of a shared folder
> 'Notes' and 'notes' which is ambigous for LDAP. But that's something
> that should be checked in the input field validation code...

The real reason is that publich folders can be targets for direct email
delivery. For historical reasons the local part of an email address is case
sensitive while the domain part is case insensitive according to the RFC.

In practical terms users cannot deal with this and so we make sure that any
email address is working by converting any recipient email address to lower
case.

Regards,
-- martin

--