[Kolab-devel] Can Horde be fixed? (Re: kolabd package available in Debian sid)

Benoit Mortier benoit.mortier at opensides.be
Sun Aug 6 22:35:32 CEST 2006

Le Dimanche 6 Août 2006 21:40, Gunnar Wrobel a écrit :
> Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:
> >> At least the groupware object emails MUST be
> >> cached, otherwise you will need to completely search, retrieve and
> >> parse the relevant folders if you want to just re-display.
> >
> > This is very much correct. E.g. in order to be able to make use of the
> > calendar a Kolab clients needs access to all object at once. (Think
> > about recurrances etc.)
>
> I think nobody disagrees that imap caching would be a desireable thing
> for the horde web client. In fact actually any web client that works
> with the kolab server.
>
> The impression I got from the discussions so far was that writing a
> new web client might be easier than getting horde to work efficiently
> together with the kolab server.
>
> I completely disagree with that notion.

Mee to ..

> As I already mentioned I believe that the whole manager login problems
> and the datatree issues can be solved and the code I wrote last week
> works reasonably well so that I'll be able to send it upstream for
> review soon. So that basically leaves the caching problem as also
> summarized on http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Horde

if you want so more betatester just send it to us ;-)

> Under the assumption that any new web client would also be written in
> PHP I don't understand why there would be any reason to implement a
> new web client. Anything coded in PHP would probably use the PEAR
> Net_Imap package for accessing the server anyhow. And I don't think it
> is unreasonable to assume that the major part of the cache would
> actually be just a wrapper around this PEAR package. So the code of
> the client itself would probably be minimally affected by the decision
> to use a cached connection or not.

[..]

I completely agree with that and i think that when the problem of :

- manager logins
- datatree issues

is corrected the horde client will be a goo enough solution for small
groupware.

After that effectively  the problem of the cache remain, but should not be a
huge problem.

I still think that the horde system is the best solution for the whole
groupware

Cheers
--
Benoit Mortier