[Kolab-devel] Distributed Kolab Setup / IMAP question

Michael Leupold leupold at leunet.de
Thu Apr 27 11:44:43 CEST 2006

Am Dienstag, 25. April 2006 21:45 schrieb Fabio Pietrosanti:
> Martin Konold wrote:
> > IMHO referals are something for Kolab 3 or a GSoC project.
> What's a GSoC project?

I think GSoC refers to Google's summer of code.

> However imho some imap proxy like perdition should be enanched to
> support trasparent proxying also for "reffed mailbox" (establishing the
> connection to the right imap server on a already proxed connection).
> In that way we should achieve trasparent access to distribuited kolab
> system indipendently on where's the mailbox or the server selected.

The cyrus murder package seems like a viable way to do this. In my opinion it
has several advantages:
- it should be compilable from imapd-sources in openpkg with just an extra
switch
- it supports proxying
- clients who support mailbox-referrals can offload the server by bypassing
the proxy and talking directly to the imap-server needed

Plugging it into kolab might mean adding some new admin code to the
webinterface if you want to separate frontend-servers from backend-servers.
Changes might be only few if every kolab-server was a frontend and a backend
at the same time.

Kind Regards,
Michael