[Kolab-devel] Question about the working of kolab's distributed concept

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Apr 13 13:46:34 CEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 13. April 2006 10:21 schrieb radoeka:
> A question about the working of the kolab configuration and the
> data propagation to slaves servers.  Is there a description about this
> in cvs of wiki?

If I remember correctly, we do not have something like
http://kroupware.kolab.org/technical-1.0.1-html/c421.html
Thought we would need to check the architecture document again.

> I think that it works in the following (I make assumptions here and there
> and would be nice if wrong assumptions are corrected):
> - admin adds a user via the web interface (which may be located
>   on the master server or on a slave system).  The user data is submitted
>   by the admin, as a result of this, the data is added to the master ldap
>   server.

Yes, changes can only be made on the master ldap.

> - The master ldap server replicates the data to the slaves.

Yes.

> Among the
>   slaves there is the kolab daemon (kolabd) listening to the replicated
> ldap data.  Kolabd creates on the appropriate slave the cyrus email
> account.

Almost. Kolabd always listens to the local openldap.
So kolabd on the slave listens to the slave openldap, not the master.

> - In case of deletion: admin deletes user via webinterface.  The
> master ldap server is told to remove the cyrus email account (hmm but
> how?). kolabd removes the cyrus email account, sets a kolabDeleteFlag (in
> the master ldap server).  As soon as this flag is  seen on the master, the
> corresponding record(s) is removed from master ldap server.  The master
> replicates this deletion and the data will be removed
>   from the slaves as well.

This is not quite correct.
The admin interface sets the kolabDeleteFlag for each host in the ldap.
The notification runs like in all other cases.
Each non-home server can now do cleanup and remove their entry from
kolabDeleteFlag. In the end, the home server of the user does the last
cleanup now now removes the cyrus account and the ldap object.

> Is this indeed the basic principle on which kolab's distributed concept is
> build?

Yes.
--
www.kolab-konsortium.com  Professional Maintenance, Consultancy and Support.