[Kolab-devel] Volunteers for Kolab_Server at OpenPKG2.5 step up! :-)

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Thu Sep 22 08:29:40 CEST 2005

> better if the source could just be installed like any other software out
> there.  If there was a focus on getting Kolab specific mods into the
> upstream sources of the required programs, then it would be a piece of cake
> for people to support packages for their own distro.  It would be fairly
> easy to make ebuilds, RPMs, etc. if we had the raw source designed outside
> of the OpenPKG system.  I know it is probably futile at this point to make
> such a request, but I honestly think that the OpenPKG system is one of the
> main reasons why Kolab seems to get nearly zero attention from the
> mainstream even though it has been around longer than most other groupware
> projects.

I also agree.

Using OpenPKG is certainly easier for the end user *now*, as no distro
(besides Mandriva? correct me if I'M wrong) offers Kolab2 as
distro-specific, separate packages.

If it was possible to install Kolab separately, without OpenPKG, it
would get into distros, and thus start getting serious attention.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org