[Kolab-devel] wiki as part of kolab

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Mon Sep 19 08:48:50 CEST 2005

Am Dienstag, 6. September 2005 15:04 schrieb Markus Heller:
> Concerning the strategy in this
> issue, at least with a little glimpse over the fence to Redmond Gardens, I
> see that they try to place Sharepoint Portal next to Exchange in order to
> offer integrated Portal / Groupware solutions to their customers.
>
> Perhaps we should think again a little, how we could integrate the various
> issues. To me it seems, that the web frontend topic is quite "hot".

One of the beauties of the Kolab solution is that you have a native client
which could satisfy some security requirements and offer a good offline
experience. To phrase that more strongly: Kolab's strategy is following
native clients as opposed to do everything by a webserver.

I consider this a major advantage that we can only reach with Free Software
as this can be made to run on many platforms.

> Imagine the sports or any other kind of club that has a kolab server for
> the internal communication. Let's say there is a unspecified
> "external/public" account that accepts assignments. The assignments are the
> events which the club organizes. And the manager-user can define who
> (individual board members etc) may register assignments/events for the
> public.

In Kolab I would start to model this by
having one folder which holds the  public events.
Give read rights to an account that updates that information on the webpage.

> But imagine, the club already has a website (which is the case very often).
> Then it is imaginable that the club would simply want to integrate the club
> calendar on its web site.

For this only a client that transfers the information to some page is needed.

> There I would also see a requirement to create an automatic link between
> the assignment description and certain wiki pages. And I see a necessity to
> restrict the write access to certain kolab users, as there might be the
> rule that the company or club board would not want ordinary members to edit
> all the public information.

There are two ideas I do not grasp yet:
Why does it have to be assignments that someone needs to confirm?
If there is a page publishing the official information of a club: Why having
this in a wiki which would allow everybody to edit this?
It makes a lot of sense for other parts of the club pages, that even might
comment each event, but not for the event itself.
Hmmm, maybe I am just not living in wiki land enough myself. ;-)

Best,
Bernhard