Speed of Patch Takeup (was: [Kolab-devel] kolabd new build mechanism)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Mon Sep 19 08:24:32 CEST 2005

Hi Richard,
Hi Marcus,

Am Dienstag, 6. September 2005 10:36 schrieb radoeka:
> I hope you understand that it is frustrating to
> wait more than 3 - 4 weeks before something is done with a patch :(

yes I can understand that very well.
We value your work and getting to grow together further as a community,
requires us to know more about why and when things to not run smooth.
I will give you a bit of my perspective in this email.

> Hopefully something will happen soon, now the holiday season is
> about to finish

Holiday season was one reason,
another one that adds to the delay is that
our main goal with the Server still is stability.
Even 2.1.x was meant to be a small step.

This is very important to make the Kolab solution really successful
and this success is needed to keep up the funds to really coordinate
development. In my eyes a coordination by experienced people is needed
within Kolab much more then many other projects to keep the vision
and the enterprise needs balanced.

On the practical side,
we have got quite a bit of smaller and larger issues with the server
and the client lately and getting them resolved is important.
The 2.0.1 release was very important and blocked ressources.

This means we do not have a real experimental server branch,
which limits the speed in which we can change the code.

Personally I believe that we can also improve the infrastructure
at various small places. Getting a server tested and out, even when it is
a development one, makes a lot of effort.
This also does not have the highest priority as the benefits are only
in the mid term.

Regards,
Bernhard