[Kolab-devel] Kolab and PDA synchronization

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Thu Sep 8 10:59:03 CEST 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 10:45, guillaume leclerc wrote:
> Hi everybody, I currently work at AtolC&D on Kolab2 and more precisely
> on a solution for synchronizing PDAs.

[snip]

> - Multisync (http://multisync.sourceforge.net/news.php
> <https://intranet.atolcd.com/horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmultisy
>nc.sourceforge.net%2Fnews.php>) supports mobile devices, PDAs and cell
> phones (Sony Ericsson, Siemens, Pocket PC, Opie, Zaurus, Palm) but seems to
> work only on a gnome platform.
>
> To my mind, the synchronization will be done via the protocol SyncML,
> which offers a common language for communications between devices,
> applications and networks. (except if patents issues exists).
>
> To implement the solution, I think about a server solution (more than a
> client), with a common base and some specifics implementations depending
> on the device we use (but nothing is put in stone).
>
> Now I'm here. If you have any suggestions or ideas, don't hesitate. I
> need your remarks and comments.

The KDE project has recently decided to chose OpenSync, which is the successor
to Multisynk, as the base platform for syncing solutions in KDE. That means
that our user interfaces will use OpenSync as the backend, and we encourage
people to write plugins for that syncing infrastructure. We (KDE), as well as
Gnome and Mozilla (and related projects) would like to see OpenSync become
the standard Free Software syncing platform. (http://www.opensync.org/)

There is already support for opensync in the next version of Kitchensync, that
will be released with KDE 3.5. So provided there is a plugin for the Kolab2
format, KDE 3.5 would be able to sync with a Kolab2 server.

Till