[Kolab-devel] Windows Clients

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 11:21:27 CEST 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 11:03, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag, 26. August 2005 15:35 schrieb Hamish:
> > Let me rephrase - a native windows client that does not need the a plugin
> > to work. (And is not Outlook). Outlook + toltec plugin works out quite
> > expensive for smaller companies. To be fair, the toltec plugin is cheap,
> > Outlook price can be a show stopper though.
>
> Note that any other client on windows will have its costs attached.
> While Free Software will save some costs (my rule of thumb is 30%
> of the total cost of operation) it will mostly do it in the mid or long
> term.

I agree, but once users are using Kontact, Openoffice, firefox, gaim etc on
windows, there is very little friction to move to the same apps on linux.
This is the end goal. Unfortunately, the "jump" to other apps is seen as too
big at the moment. Change the tools one at a time so users can get used to
them, then switch the whole OS. When I demonstrate that the only difference
is cost/stability/{insert cuddly adjective}, and that all the apps are the
same, switching makes a lot more sense.
Cheers,
Hamish